Possums are marsupials which are active at night and have become well-adapted to urban environments.
Where do possums live?Possums live in trees. However, due to the growth in urban areas, there has been a significant loss of their natural habitat. This forces them to take up residence in cavities inside and in between buildings and in roof voids. You can also find them scouring through waste and compost bins in search for food, creating an overnight mess on your property. This is why the need for possum control is growing.
When are possums active?Possums are nocturnal. This is why their screeches and pattering of feet are mostly heard at night.
Why are possums troublesome?Possums can feed on the vegetables, fruit, flowers and new plants in or near gardens. Male brushtail possums can become a nuisance with their loud, rough-sounding calls. They also give off a strong smell which can create anxiety for some. Dogs sometimes become nervous if there are possums nearby, and incessant barking can be stressful for the people around them. Possums can also affect your home structurally. If holes appear in your roof, possums are able to crawl in and potentially trap themselves. In addition, possums have been known to dislodge tiles and bend sheets of iron gaining access to roofs, causing secondary damage from water entering the roof cavity and internal area of the home during a downpour.
Do you have a possum problem?If any of the following applies to you, we recommend you contact us immediately:
- You are hearing unusual noises coming from the roof cavity.
- You are finding plants and seedlings damaged and occasionally completely destroyed inexplicably overnight.
- A new stain appears on the ceiling inside the house, or a pungent smell starts to emanate into a room.
Do I need professional possum relocation services?The answer is yes. Possums tend to seek warmth, food, water and shelter in buildings and, especially, on roofs. They are a protected species in Australia, so there are very precise rules governing what you can and cannot do to them. Those who kill or harm them face the prospect of paying heavy fines. Flick Anticimex can remove possums by returning them to their natural habitat. The Australian government recognises the threat to crops posed by possums, but they have outlined possum moving and trapping regulations. Flick Anticimex promises that we strictly adhere to these regulations. We first conduct a home inspection to identify all the points through which the possum is gaining entry to your home and then seal all of them with materials designed to be possum-proof to ensure the animals can no longer enter the house. Temporary one-way doors can be installed so possums cannot re-enter once they exit, and cages set up to trap the animals and then remove them. Our methods are designed to be as stress-free as possible for both you and the possums. All possum removal or relocation work is carried out to individual state or territory legislation and can vary depending upon the type of construction of your home.
- Natural sprays – There are some natural ways to keep possums from eating seedlings and vegetables including, chilli spray applied to seedlings or netting the area to physically exclude them.
- Cleaning up pet food bowls – Possums sometimes will feed on cat/dog food that has been uneaten and left outside, this can encourage their return as they learn the bowls are magically refilled each day, ensure to place any uneaten food inside or in an area that is not accessible to possums.
- Repair/cover holes – Occasionally a possum will find its way into your roof void through an easily identifiable hole. When the possum is out, simply repairing or covering the hole will often stop its re-entry. Be ready for the fact that some possums will put up a real fight to get back into their home and may explore and even create another access point.
Enjoyed this article?
If you found this article helpful, sign up for our free Quartlery Newsletter to receive all our tips and tricks on pest control and washroom hygiene.Sign Me Up!
Our Latest Articles
3 Signs Of Bed Bugs People Can Miss
7 Essential Tips To Help Prepare Your Home For Spring
The Importance Of Good Hand Hygiene
Pest Control Tips For Your Boat
Stop The Infestation Where Are Ants Hiding In Your Home
How Do I Get Rid The Ants In My House
7 Ways To Combat Mosquitoes
Pest Spotlight European Wasps
Do You Have A Silverfish Problem?