With September already past, warmer weather means the life cycle of many household pests will also start to speed up.
During the spring, the most common household pests are cockroaches, ants, and spiders. These pests have different habits and will exploit your home in various ways. They will live in your roof voids, wall cavities, and sub-floor spaces; internal areas with access to food and water such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry areas, and externally in gardens and lawns.
How can I help to get rid of spring pests?
Our pest technical team has prepared a homeowner pest checklist for spring.
Pest checklist for spring:
- Clean your home's gutters of leaves and other natural debris, which will reduce the available food and water source for pests.
- Weed the garden and mow the lawn. Long grasses are also a good place for ticks, fleas, snakes, and rodents to hide.
- Trim overhanging trees and prune shrubs and bushes. Vegetation that touches the exterior to your home can be used as a ‘bridge’ to allow ants or other pests entry into your home.
- Ensure garbage bins (and waste disposal areas) are well sealed and regularly cleaned to reduce the attraction to cockroaches, ants, rodents, and flies.
- Check for leaking or damaged taps (reduce water sources), ill-fitted or damaged insect door and window screens.
- Cracks and crevices provide easy access for pests to enter your home so carrying out small repairs such as gap fills will significantly reduce the ability for pests to enter your home.
- Reduce pest harbourages – discard old and unused items, clean kitchen areas, especially in drawers, in and above cupboards, under electrical appliances; inspect drains in the laundry, bathroom, and kitchen.
How can Flick Anticimex protect your home from spring pests?
The most effective way to eliminate pests is to have a treatment done by your trusted Flick Anticimex pest controller. Our technician will develop an integrated pest management plan targeting your spring pests whilst ensuring the safety of your home and the wellbeing of your family and pets.
We will inspect your property to find the extent of the problem, the species of the offending pest, and harbourage sites (where they live/nest). When conducting an inspection, our technician will check all areas of your home with special focus placed on known pest ‘hot spots’. These hot spot areas include:
- ‘Wet areas’: Rooms with high moisture levels are perfect sites for pests. These areas may include the bathroom, laundry, and kitchen.
- Wall cavities and roof voids: The hot temperatures and darkness make this area a desirable place for pests to live.
- Subfloor: Subfloors are found beneath the home, are often dark and moist and have a lot of organic matter to feed cockroaches.
- External areas: This includes patios, verandas, porches, entertainment areas, sheds, garages and other outdoor areas. Treatments applied to these areas often act as the first line of defence as the original nesting sites are found outdoors. Treatment areas may include gardens, cracks in concrete, garbage areas and paved areas.
For all your spring pest control needs please contact your local Flick Anticimex team.